Tuesday, July 7, 2020

If We’ve Ever Needed You

It has been a very difficult time in my life for me to write. I can’t quite put a finger on why, but it clearly has been a time when I feel uncomfortable putting my thoughts into words.
This may seem strange to those of you who know me well. When things have been the most difficult I seem to be able to reach down and find words to share. During the great housing recession I wrote frequently and poured my heart into my words. This is a different time for me.
During the recession I held a minority share in a business I helped build for nearly 20 years. I was no longer valued there for my contributions. I chose to leave in an effort to create value and receive value elsewhere.
I couldn’t work locally because in my view I couldn’t compete with my own company. I was naive about what my contributions and ownership would mean when we eventually settled and I had to sell my share. 
You might think I would be down or dejected, but I was actually excited and driven to start over and help someone else be successful. I held a belief that by doing that I would be rewarded too. There is a great reward in giving and serving others.
A door opened for me in Charleston, South Carolina working for and with a former client and long time friend, Eddie Buck. Our youngest daughter was in high school so the plan was for me to commute and at the end of 2-1/2 years my wife, Elizabeth would move too. Looking back we didn’t keep our home in Atlanta strictly because of one of our daughters.
We had amazing neighbors and friends in Atlanta. Elizabeth was going to be incredibly sad about moving. We all would be sad. Atlanta had become our home. 
In March 2010, I went to work, rented a home in Mount Pleasant and “moved” alone.
I loved my time at Buck Lumber. The people there were incredible. We worked so hard to recover our losses. When I arrived, we were no longer the market leader, but we came back strong. The people who were already there, those we hired and those who came on board at the end of my time there did incredibly well. I feel so fortunate to have been a part of that team. I believe my successor there was more than a coincidence, he was ideal to carry the business forward. Buck Lumber is still thriving.
What does this all have to do with the words, “If we’ve ever needed you?” Those words are the title to a song by Casting Crowns. Let me take a shot at tying these thoughts together.
I listened to these words from that song almost every single day on my early morning drive from Mount Pleasant to James Island to work. It was a beautiful drive, as the sun was rising over the marsh or the ocean, but in many ways I was all alone.
My closest relative was my son, Will attending college at Lander in Greenwood, South Carolina. The rest of my family was at least 5 hours away. You can imagine how alone I might feel at times. If I ever needed God it was then, right? But that’s really the big point. I always need God. Those words are always true. I need Him now. I need Him when I am surrounded by loved ones or all alone as I appeared to be at so many times in Charleston. We all do if we really understand God’s role in our lives both here in this life and in eternity.
I wonder right now how many people feel so alone? People are getting sick and are dying alone. We can’t go see our dying family members and friends. I haven’t had a hug from one of my daughters in over 100 days.
I have a confession to make. In my most desperate moments in life I ask Jesus to hold me. I know that sounds strange, but when I do, He shows up. I actually “feel” His presence. If you know me I would not make that up. In fact those that knew me in my younger, wilder days might say, “Is that Hershey?’No way!”
We need God in our lives and we need Him now. I can’t tell you what that means or looks like for you.
I do know it means setting aside our anger and hate. I do know it means loving our neighbors no matter what color, what nationality or what religion. I do know God loves Republicans and Democrats and those who don’t have a party. We need people who disagree with us every bit as much as we need people who agree with us...maybe more. Work harder to cross boundaries than to divide and conquer. Look for good in others no matter what your differences may be.
Our country is in intensive care right now and not due to a virus. We seem to love to cut down anyone who sees the world differently. I believe this disease will kill so many more than a virus and threatens to kill our spirits of love and hope. Have a little faith. It will take you a long way.
In closing listen to this song and the powerful lyrics. Imagine a man driving across Shem Creek or the much bigger bridge with tears running down his cheeks. He is thinking how lucky he is to have a family he misses and how grateful he is to have a God who loves Him in spite of his many faults. We need you now, Lord...now and always...and we need one another.


If We've Ever Needed You"Here I cry, Lord we pray
Our faces down, our hands are raised
You called us out, we turned away, we've turned away
With shipwrecked faith, the idols rise
We do what is right, in our own eyes
Our children now, will pay the price
We need Your light, Lord, shine Your light
If we've ever needed You, Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand, we're reachin' out, we're reachin' out
All our hearts, all our strength
With all our minds, we're at Your feet
May Your Kingdom come, in our hearts and lives
Let Your Church arise, let Your Church arise
If we've ever needed You, Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand, we're reachin' out, we're reachin' out, we're reachin' out
If we've ever needed You, Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We're are desperate for Your hand, we're reachin' out, we're reachin' out
If we've ever needed You, Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand, we're reachin' out, we're reachin' out
We need You now
Revive us now
We need You now

No comments:

Post a Comment