Monday, January 23, 2012

When the Answer is Silence - "No longer do I call you servants . . . but I have called you friends." John 15:15

  Sometimes the hardest answer to accept is when you ask someone a question and no answer is given.  Do you know what I mean? You ask a question and the answer is silence. It is in those times you may need to recognize that you can't always get what you want or need even from those you are closest to in life. It may be someone you work with. It may be a trusted friend. It may be a family member whom you love unconditionally. When we turn to one another for help, let's face it, we don't always receive the response we're looking for or need. While those moments can be very difficult, they also can be moments where we grow the most.
  I often turn to God when my needs are the greatest in life.  I have come to enjoy turning to Him. I believe He welcomes us to come to Him with open arms. We are called to be more like Him and we can know what it means to be like God by understanding Jesus and His life. Jesus set an amazing example for all of us. Jesus asked men to follow Him and some of them just dropped what they were doing and followed Him. That amazes me. Does that amaze you? Think of grown men just dropping what they are doing and walking from village to village. I find myself wondering if He came by my office one day and asked me to follow Him, how would I answer? Would it be in silence? I hope not.
  One of the many quotes I learned from my Dad was, "To have a friend, you must be a friend". That is the kind of friend I am determined to be in life. It is the kind of person I am determined to be for my friends, my family and my community, including work. I admit that at times I fall short of being the person and friend I am determined to be. I know to truly love someone including God that I need to be there for others when they need me. I am not suggesting that I am needed especially by an all-powerful God, but I love the idea of serving Him. How do we serve others in our lives? How do we serve God? Or, are we being loyal and loving simply because we want something in return?
  I want my answer to that question to become that am much more selfless not selfish. When I sit down today to pray or talk with God, I challenge myself to not ask for anything from Him. I ask all of you who read this to join me in this conversation with God - this special prayer. Let's just thank God for being our maker. Let's thank Him for giving us the gift of the morning breeze. Let's thank Him for so many wonderful things in this life. Let's thank Him for listening to us and being there for us even when we believe He is being silent. Let's thank Him together for the special people in our lives. Let's thank Him together for giving His son to us.  Let's see if we can simply praise Him without asking for anything in return. Amen. "No longer do I call you servants . . . but I have called you friends."  John 15:15

No comments:

Post a Comment